[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

neon vs. potential transformer

From: 	FutureT-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:FutureT-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Saturday, July 12, 1997 3:21 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	neon vs. potential transformer

  All,

  Previously, I built a small TC using a 12 kV, 30ma neon trans, which
  produced a 42" spark using 740 watts as measured with a wattmeter.
  Then for comparison purposes, I replaced the neon trans with a
  potential trans and a suitable ballast, the TC drew about 680 watts
  and gave the same spark length.  Toroid size is 5" x 20".

  I also had tried using a 15 kV, 60ma neon trans, which gave a 65"
  spark and drew 2600 watts.  Yesterday, I installed the potential
  trans into the same TC and with 6.7millihenries of ballasting, it
  produced a 65" spark and drew 2100 watts.  Toroid size is 6" x 26".

  An 8 point series rotary sync-gap was used in all the above tests.
  The potential transformer is rated at 14.4 kV,  1.5kVA. Input power
  was measured before it entered the main variac.  It is
  not known exactly how waveform distortion variations might be
  affecting the input power measurements.  (Gotta build the "Dave
  Sharpe" opto-wattmeter).

  Spark length measurements over 65" length are difficult because
  the room limits the sparks.  The spark hits the 65" point with a strong
  "zap" and could undoubtedly go further.  I plan to do more tests and
  will try to improve the efficiency.

  These results seem to show that when I increased the input power by
  about 3 times (TCs optimized for the input power--"very" important),
  the spark length increased by about 1.73 times.  This follows the direct
  square law, (more in another post).

  The lower losses in the potential transformer seem to improve the
  efficiency of the TC.

  John Freau