[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: P.F.C. & Variacs

From: 	Kerry Ludwig[SMTP:kilroy-at-bscn-dot-com]
Sent: 	Wednesday, July 16, 1997 6:30 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com; Tesla-2-at-emachine-dot-com
Subject: 	P.F.C. & Variacs

O.K., time for me to pick your brains again.  I remember seeing several
postings on power factor correction for neons quite a while back.  My coil
is a 4.5" x 22.5" sec. with 750 turns of 21 ga.  The primary will be 1/4"
tubing with 1/4" spacing, 7" inside diameter and 15* rise.  I'm using a 12kV
60mA trans.  I plan on building a .010uF plate cap.  My chokes will probably
be 27ga. wound on 1.5" x 6" pvc.  One choke on each leg of the neon.  So how
do I figure the correction that I will need for my setup?

Also... went browsing at a local TV shop today.  He said that he had some
used variacs at home.  He couldn't remember the exact ratings, but said that
they could be wired for 0-120v or 0-140v and should be about 5-10 amps each.
Said that he would let me have 2 of them for $8.00 a piece.  Sounded like a
good deal to me so I will probably go back for them tomorrow.

Kerry "Kilroy" Ludwig
Kilroy-at-bscn-dot-com
Arc-zone-at-geocities-dot-com