[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LDPE and HDPE/0.08uF cap hints

From: 	David Huffman[SMTP:huffman-at-FNAL.GOV]
Sent: 	Thursday, July 17, 1997 11:23 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: LDPE and HDPE/0.08uF cap hints

I need a large cap for my H&R transformers also. I recently purchased
65lbs. of 8 mil poly, a 20" wide roll for $15. A great deal, thank
you Bert H. for the tip. I will make a flat unit and would like to
know how many layer of 8 mil poly would be safe for the 10KV max the
H&R might put out. I know the voltage rating per mil increases as the
thickness decreases as Richard states below. How can this be
interpreted for say a single 8 mil layer? The more I think about this
the more confusing it seems to be. I may not what to use a single
layer since a defect would mean cap failure, however increasing the
number of layers makes poor use of the voltage rating. I also doubt a
visual inspection of the plastic would find defects the voltage might
push through. I'm sort of settling in on 2 layers of poly in each
section and then 4 sections in series.
Still looking for containers to put the cap and transformer in too.
Dave Huffman