[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: neon transformers

From: 	William Noble[SMTP:William_B_Noble-at-msn-dot-com]
Sent: 	Tuesday, July 22, 1997 2:32 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	RE: neon transformers

if you read this list for a while you will find all the "schematic" related
info you need, and I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice on how to get cheap
transformers.  You don't really need a schematic to interconnect 5 parts -

you have a neon transformer. Put a capacitor in parallel with the Xformer
output so the cap "shorts" the xformer.  make a spark gap (see this list for
advice).  make a primary coil using 1/4 inch refrig tubing wound in a flat
spiral (the easiest to make) with an inner diameter of about 7 to 8 inches and
a spacing of 1/4 inch between turns - I used 50 ft of tubing.  wind util
tubing is used up.  Now put the spark gap in series with the xormer and
attache a heavy wire with a clip lead to the other terminal of the spark gap -
this will connect to a place on the primary you just wound.  Connect the inner
turn of the pri to the other Xformer/capacitor terminal and your primary
circuit is done.
Then wind some turns of 24 or 22 gague wire for a secondary - I used 4 inch
drain pipe and wound about 20 inches.  There are details about secondary
design posted on teh list all the time.  Ground one end of the secondary, and
you are ready to go.  you can add a toilet float or some other device to the
top of the coil later to add some capaictance.  So, you have a secondary  with
one end grounded, and you have a spark gap and primary in series and across
the xformer secondary, and the capacitor in parallel with the xformer
secondary.