[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Those rare, long sparks

From: 	richard hull[SMTP:rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net]
Sent: 	Wednesday, July 23, 1997 3:07 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Those rare, long sparks

All,

The ongoing discussion of tesla in vs. out, efficiency, spark length per
watt, etc. can take about 2.6 X 10^google different directions.  Those of us
in the know and who have fired a lotta' coils are not intrigued constantly
by what our coils can do regarding a grounded point placed at x distance
from the coil where the spark will every single impulse yield a flaming hot
continuously drawn arc.  This effect is true "engineering throughput" per
unit input and any attempt to quantifiy that activity is doomed to success!
It is straight forward engineering of an oscillatory system where almost all
of the subtile non-linear components are COMPLETELY REMOVED.  Such system
quantification and design is about as interesting as designing a switching
regulator! And, is not far removed, either.

It is when one runs a well contructed 8KW Tesla system for a continuous 4
minute run  with lots of targets of opportunity (grounds) at various ranges,
and sees the bulk of the hits out at 7-8 feet with an occasional hit at 9
feet, a very rare one at 10 feet and a single lone hit out of the (400bps X
240second) 96,000 system pulses strikes 11.3 feet away that hits home!

What caused that lone 11.3 foot hit!  To hell with the other hundreds of
arcs and strikes at 7-10 feet!  What happened?  Did we cohere the zero point
energy?....I don't think so.  Did we have a power bump?.... Nope.  Did
something magical happen?...Seems like it, but I won't accept that.  Am I
livin' right?.... not likely.  After seeing that long arc can I redesign for
all 11.3 footers?....Doubtful. (if you did, do you really think that all the
arcs would be 11.3 feet?... Nope....one would invaraibly hit 12.4 feet... Why?)

I can tell you exactly what happened!

Not mathematically, not scientifically, and not in a manner that will let
you rebuild your system to produce a continuous 11 footer with the same
power (nobody will ever be able to do that for you)  BUT, I can explain, in
general terms, just why the arc did what it did on that one single occassion.

Incredibly long sentence to follow......

Of the miriad of quantifiable and well understood non-linear processes, the
many unquantifiable and little understood non-linear processes, the few
unimagined and unkown non-linear processes involved in this cacophony of
energy conversion and loss, we had a SINGULAR EVENT.  During this event a
certain large number of non-linear processes involving, critical timings,
phasings, magnetic collapses, electrostatic images, ionic bridging effects,
etc., all summed at a single instant in time!  It is that simple.  It is
un-repeatable outside of the laws of probabilty during another long run.

Inspite of all these improbable events.  This singular result is what a plus
ultra system is gauged by when old hands gather.

We can certainly gauge coil performance by continuos drawn arcs, exactly as
we gauge any commercial, for sale, product where real, continuous, stable,
output is demanded.
This reduces the system to a manufactured commodity.  Without magic moments.

Data gathered with continous arc will let us engineer better continous arc
systems, but will it engineer those magic moments?  No, I say.

  Most of the magic comes from surroundings and mechanisms outside of the
simple series resosant system. Any attempt to improve the continuous arcer
might or might not result in better magic moments due to interactions beyond
the closed continuous arcing system back upon that system when uncoupled
from a drawn arc!

How many of us use our coils as "ignition coil"-like demonstrators,
mindlessly buzzing away with continuous drawn arcs?

Richard Hull, TCBOR