[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 2 foot sparks - need more garage!

From: 	William Noble[SMTP:William_B_Noble-at-msn-dot-com]
Sent: 	Wednesday, July 23, 1997 3:57 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	RE: 2 foot sparks - need more garage!

sounds like your gap is heating up quickly - the general consensus seems to be
that the RQ style gap with multiple gaps and air cooling is best.  I have a
primative gap of this type (1/2 inch pipe rather than 1.5 inch pipe - I
misread the instructions when I was building it) and I can notice a distinct
drop off in arc length after about 15 to 20seconds as the pipe heats up.  the
larger pipe will have decent thermal mass and should run longer.  For me, 20
seconds at a time is enough.