[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: double windings

From: 	Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Thursday, July 24, 1997 12:24 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: double windings

<< From: 	chestnic[SMTP:chestnic-at-cvn-dot-net]
 Sent: 	Wednesday, July 23, 1997 7:55 PM
 To: 	Tesla List
 Subject: 	double windings

 Can I double layer the windings on the secondary coil?

 how many capacitiors should I use in the circuit?

Yes, you can double layer the secondary.  There has been discussion on the
list here recently on this.  Two windings, one on top of the other, provides
lower resistance (higher Q) while still maintaining high inductance (many
turns, close wound).

As to how many capacitors you should use - it depends on the other paramaters
of your system.  You need to calculate the self resonant frequency of you
secondary with a resonable sized toroid on it.  Now design a primary for this
coil and calculate the amount of capacitance required to make the primary
resonate at the same frequency as the secondary.

Ed Sonderman