[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New pictures

From: 	Bert Pool[SMTP:bertpool-at-flash-dot-net]
Sent: 	Saturday, July 26, 1997 5:29 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Cc: 	bemery-at-why-dot-net
Subject: 	Re: New pictures

JHC wrote:

>   Bert -
>
>   Have you compared a classical coil with a magnifier to determine if there
> is a difference in output?
>
>   John Couture

John, how would you compare them?  The resonator coil on my magnifier
is only 8 inches by 24 inches.  I can't build a conventional coil
with a secondary this size that produces 11 to 15 foot sparks.  And
if you start trying to compare input power versus spark length, then
you get back into the dog-chasing-its-tail arguments that you and
others on this list have been debating back and forth for the past
week.

Big magnifiers can produce big sparks.  Small magnifiers don't appear
to be any better than a conventional coil of the approximate same
size.  Richard Hull's 11-E maggie with the tiny 4 inch by 12 inch
resonator (30 gauge wire) always astounds everyone with its 10 and 11
foot sparks.  How do you compare that coil against any conventional
coil?  No one has ever produced 10+ foot sparks with a conventional
coil this size, not even the Good Doctor himself.  Frankly, I don't
think there will ever be a "best" way to compare conventional
coils versus magnifiers - the engineering design of the drivers is
totally different, the operation of the resonant coil is very
different, and even the character of the sparks, in my opinion, is
different.  Apples and tangerines.

Stepping back from magnifiers for a short while, Bill Emery and I are
winding the largest conventional coil we've ever attempted.  It is
18.5 inches in diameter and 55.50 inches in length and is wound with
14 gauge wire.  The complete coil and form will weigh over 300
pounds.  We will run this as a conventional coil, not a magnifier.
We expect minimum 15 foot sparks, and maybe some as long as 18 feet.
The toroid will have a cross section of 20 inches and will be 8 feet
in diameter.  We will initially drive it with the same 2 kva
transformer we're currently using on our magnifier; though we'll push
it 8 to 10 kva.  We have the capability of going to transformer
ratings as high as 30 kva if we need to.  It will be interesting to
compare this coil's output with that of our existing maggie.

We already have the coil form for a 28.5 inch diameter secondary.  We
have 70 pounds of the 200+ pounds of 10 gauge enamel wire with which
we will wind it.  We'll start with the 8 foot toroid and go from
there.  Hopefully, we'll gain enough experience from building the
18.5 inch coil which will allow us to successfully build and operate
this 28.5 inch monster.  This coil should perform about the same as
Greg Leyh's excellent coil.  We will not, however, run this coil on
d.c. as Greg has done.

Bert Pool
TCBFW
bertpool-at-flash-dot-net