[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Those rare, long sparks

From: 	FutureT-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:FutureT-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Monday, July 28, 1997 2:43 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Those rare, long sparks

>snip>
<< Once
> the key comparative measurements are made, the tubes can be put away,
> the steering bump removed, and the awesome magic glory of an unfettered
>coil again be appreciated.

> A question:
> To those running with synchronous gaps - Do you guys see occasional
> extra-long streamers on your systems? Synchronous gap systems should be
> much more consistent with respect to the BPS rate and energy per bang.
> If you guys ALSO see rare long sparks, this would tend to lend more
> credence that most of the randomness/chaos is actually coming from the
>streamer generation process itself.

> Safe coilin' to you!

> -- Bert H -- >>

Bert,

I agree with your comments, and nice idea about using the fluorescent tubes.

Yes, sync gaps produce the same variation in spark length, with
occasional rare long sparks,(but maybe a little less variation
than in some non-sync systems...always hard to be sure
because it seems other factors also affect this, even toroid size.)

Seems to me that there HAS to be a variation in spark length because of
the gradual (over a duration of 1/15 to 1/4 second in my coils) manner in
which the  spark grows, all the while being affected by the variable air
currents and random ionization effects you mentioned.

John Freau