[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Coil Efficiency (quenching)

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Tuesday, July 29, 1997 3:11 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Coil Efficiency (quenching)

Hi John,
            Thanks for the reply. I know you too know the answers to
the questions I posed :)  I really meant (and should have made clear)
that I was trying to encourage others (and particularly the
speculators) on the list to actually get a scope onto it and see for
themselves what happens. I hope as many as have access to
instrumentation do.
     I'd just like to say that we are incredibly lucky in this day
and age to have access to tools and instruments that Nikola could
only have dreamed about. IMHO, full advantage should be taken of
those tools to really understand how coils operate. Greg is not
designing his new coil on pure but using a combination of measurement
and advance in theory (hope you don't mind me speaking on your behalf
Greg).

     Thanks to my own experiments and an excellent post earlier this
year by Gary Weaver ("The Best Primary"), I am now designing some
experiments to examine coupling from a new angle. I have noticed that
for resonators with an H/D significantly above 2, some height is
required in the primary (i.e. a helix or saucer can work better than
a properly tuned flat spiral). I came up with a guideline for good
results that the height of a primary whose bottom turn starts at the
same height as the bottom turn of the secondary  should be between
5 to 10% of the height of the secondary with a mean diameter around
2 to 3 times that of the secondary. That was the experimental result.

    The theory: Using easily accessible mechanical analogy of the
steel ruler in the vise and varying "coupling" height and noting
effects on ruler movement, and looking at the concept of link
coupling into a transmission line, it seems to me that what in effect
we are doing is _tapping_ into the line at some way along its length
(this applies to 2 coil systems only). Now if you do this in a
transmission line, you are tapping into a particular impedance (with
a particular impedance) since this is different along all portions of
the line.

    Up to now, effects of coupling on coil behaviour have been rather
difficult to determine. I think this is because when we normally vary
k, we are varying at least two quantities at once! k can be varied in
many different ways. For example, varying the height of the primary
relative to the secondary is not only altering flux coupling but also
the tap point. To alter k alone while leaving the tap point intact
means increasing primary diameter while holding both primary height
and vertical position constant relative to the secondary. k can also
be altered by reducing primary height and knocking a turn or two off
to keep inductance constant. Another is to reduce turns and keep
height constant while increasing Cp value to maintain tune.
    There is a good reason why this possibility has not been explored
(as far as I know). Primaries are normally set in concrete as far as
physical construction goes which makes it fiendishly difficult to
change the diameter or the height at will.

   The experiments: I want to explore the possibility that altering k
in different ways but just one parameter at a time will give
credence to or refute the above ideas. It seems like a nightmare at
first glance but I regard it as absolutely necessary to advance the
art. If anyone has ideas on a construction method that might allow
altering as few parameters as possible I would love to hear them. I
am lucky to get use of the lab as such opportunites are fast
disappearing here.

    Any other thoughts on the above most welcome. I regard tables as
useful guidelines to building a coil, but nailing things down in
mathematical formulae gives a much deeper understanding of how it
works and in my opinion, puts design on an engineering platform.

Malcolm