[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 2 foot sparks - need more garage!

From: 	richard hull[SMTP:rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net]
Sent: 	Wednesday, July 30, 1997 1:59 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: 2 foot sparks - need more garage!

At 06:24 PM 7/26/97 -0500, you wrote:

> [...]
big huge snip...

>>Either switching transients or poor spark gap quenching.
>
>Yes, a fan on the gaps improves things. Richard Hull suggested
>poor caps but I hope not. I'm going to try building a cap after
>the holidays.
>
>Have fun,
>
>Alan Sharp (UK)
>
>Alan,

I now might agree more with John Freau on the gap cooling issue.  High power
demands real cool gaps.  A condition which mimes detuning can manifest
itself with super hot gaps.  If your caps are WWII vintage they are poor
caps and rather lossey provided they are not micas.  Paper caps change value
when heating and the effect is particularly severe in series strings of
larger units.

Richard Hull, TCBOR