[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Test of 6" coil

Subject:  Re: Test of 6" coil
  Date:   Mon, 2 Jun 1997 13:26:19 -0400 (EDT)
  From:   Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
    To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

-snip-
<<
 My suspicion is that the caps you got had some type of latent defect
 which caused them to short out. The most probable cause is entrapped
air
 deep inside the capacitor roll(s). After a period of extended running,
 the localized heating and chemical degradation of the dielectric/oil
 causes a failure.

 It's certainly worth discussing with CP to see if they'll do anything
 for you. You've got absolutely nothing to lose at this point! If they
 won't, I'd check out Plastic Caps. The construction technique of the
 latter is, in my opinion, superior to that of CP.

 Good Luck!

 -- Bert --

Bert,

Thanks.  Both of my failed C.P. caps have been sent back to the factory
for
failure analysis.  Will keep everyone posted.

Ed Sonderman