[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

60 vs. 30 ma

Subject:   60 vs. 30 ma
  Date:    Mon, 02 Jun 1997 18:39:14 -0500
  From:    Tedd Payne <tpayne-at-netnitco-dot-net>
    To:    Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Here's another "what if".  Suppose I have a well-designed Tesla coil
using a 12KV/30ma neon transformer, .005 uF cap, appropriate torroid,
RQ-style gaps, primary with more than enough turns, and the coil
produces an 18" discharge when optimally tuned.

Now suppose I replace the 12KV/30ma transformer with a 12KV/60ma unit.
I'm wondering how much the performance will be improved by the higher
current transformer combined with little or no other changes.  My
questions:

1. How likely is it that any part of the whole system would be damaged
by the higher current?

2. What increase in discharge length could I expect by changing only the
primary tap location?

3. What increase in discharge length could I expect by changing the
primary tap location in conjuction with using a larger torroid?

Thanks!