[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Bombarder xfmr

Subject:      Re: Bombarder xfmr
       Date:  Mon, 02 Jun 1997 23:52:40 -0700
       From:  Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
         To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Tesla List wrote:

> Subject:     Bombarder xfmr
>       Date:  Mon, 02 Jun 1997 11:05:08 -0400
>       From:  "Kevin M. Conkey" <teslacoil-at-mindspring-dot-com>
>         To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>
> I just acquired a bombarder xfmr and variable choke from a neon shop
> that went out of business. It is rated at an output of 30 kV -at- 250 MA,
> 7.5 KW. It is a large open air design with 2 separate windings over the
> primary. For $200!
>
> I am wondering, is anyone out there familiar with these things that
> could tell me how much overload capability these have and
> how much abuse can they take?
> How do they compare with a pole pig and neons?
>
> --
> Kevin M. Conkey

Kevin,

Nice score! These devices already contain appropriate internal magnetic
shunting so that no external ballast is required. However, this also
means that, barring 60 Hz resonance tuning with the tank cap, you'll be
limited to the rated output current. You can choose to add more external
series inductance if you want to reduce the maximum output short-circuit
current.

Safe coilin' to you, Kevin!

-- Bert --