[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Winding Directions.

Subject:  Re: Winding Directions.
  Date:   Tue, 3 Jun 1997 21:52:35 -0600
  From:   "DR.RESONANCE" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
    To:   "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

To: Greg Leyh

Phasing is more important in a tightly coupled resonance transformer
mode
mainly because the primary and secondary of the "driver coil" (if used
with
a 3 coil magnifier configuration) required very close primary to
secondary
spacing to achieve the coupling which means the electrical stress is
much
higher if the two windings are opposed.  In this type of action one is
hitting a plus peak while the other winding is hitting a minus peak ---
thus a greater electrical stress.  If the two windings are both CW or
both
CCW then the plus and minus electrical peaks are in phase and there is
less
total differential stress between the primary and secondary windings.

If the units are operated in a tank with SF6 (such as the large unit at
Sandia National Laboratories) then this is not as critical as an open
air
operated unit such as Richard Hull's machines.  I noted Rich uses a fair
amount of polyethylene or polypropylene to provide additonal insulation
primary to secondary of his driver coil.

If you are not experiencing any stress breakdowns then you can wind them
almost either way and they work the same electrically from the
standpoint
of output potential.

I ran some of your posted data through our computer design programs and
developed some interesting results.  Now as soon as I get all unpacked
from
my Tucson trip I will try to dig out the info and relay it to you.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net