[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

60 vs. 30 ma

Subject:  60 vs. 30 ma
  Date:  Sat, 07 Jun 1997 15:58:21 -0500
  From:  Tedd Payne <tpayne-at-netnitco-dot-net>
    To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Thanks to those who replied.  Maybe I could have asked my question more
clearly, so I'll try again.

If I have a well-operating coil using a 12KV/30ma neon transformer, and
I replace that transformer with a 12KV/60ma transformer:

1.  To take best advantage of the 60ma, should I change the torroid size
and/or change the primary tap location?  (assume the .005uF cap value
won't change)

I think I read that by using a larger torroid, a smaller cap could be
used.  Therefore, if I use a 60ma transformer (which would normally call
for about a .01 cap), I could get away with using the original .005 cap
by using a larger torroid.  Is that correct?

2. After changing the torroid size and/or primary tap, what increase in
spark length should I expect as a result of moving up to 60ma?

3.  If I changed only the primary tap location (if that would help) and
did NOT change the torroid size, what increase in spark length should I
expect as a result of moving up to 60ma?

Thanks again,

Tedd