[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: How do you get the guts (or stupidity) to draw a spark ?

Subject:  Re: How do you get the guts (or stupidity) to draw a spark ?
   Date:  Sun, 08 Jun 1997 19:52:56 +1000
   From:  Peter Electric <elekessy-at-macquarie.matra-dot-com.au>
     To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Tesla List wrote:

> Subject:  How do you get the guts (or stupidity) to draw a spark ?
>   Date:   Sat, 07 Jun 1997 09:35:33 -0500
>   From:   Shawn Collins <rubidium-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>     To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>
> I have seen many pictures on various pages of people drawing sparks to
> metal
> objects they are holding on to. At what frequency of operation is this
> safe,
> and how  did you ever get up the guts to try it ? I know the primary
> side
> can kill, but according to skin effect formula (which I can't find right
> now) at 170kHz the current is only .06" deep.
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn

I have a fairly small coil driven from a 15KV 60Ma Neon Xformer that
throws around 30" sparks. I have tried hanging on to the end of a Flouro
tube and drawing a few sparks with that but even though my coil runs at
over 300Khz, it was fairly unconfortable, i.e. I got a pretty strong
tingle down my arm.

I am also intigued by how these guys draw off huge arcs using larger
coils that run a lower freqs. Maybe they use hidden earth wires.

Cheers from downunder,

Peter E.