[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Latest magnifier results

Subject:  Re: Latest magnifier results
  Date:   Mon, 9 Jun 1997 19:31:57 +1000 (EST)
  From:  Rodney Graham Davies <Rodney.Davies-at-anu.edu.au>
    To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Hi Bert,

On Sun, 8 Jun 1997, Tesla List wrote:

> Subject:  Latest magnifier results
>   Date:   Sun, 8 Jun 1997 09:15:37 +0000
>   From:  "Bert Pool" <bertpool-at-flash-dot-net>
>     To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>, jgore-at-onramp-dot-net
>     CC:   bemery-at-why-dot-net
>

> We are proud new entrants into the grand order of 10+ foot spark
> makers.  We couldn't be more excited.  Well, ok, if we'd gotten 15
> foot sparks, then we'd have been more excited.

Congratulations! Well done!

> We experimented with using a piece of 10 inch wide aluminum flashing
> as a transmission line.  I expected horrendous corona off the edges.
> Nope, works very well, we saw no transmission line corona at all.  It
> seems that the same physics which allow flashing to serve as a good
> low impedence ground conductor also allow it to serve as an admirable
> low impedence high voltage transmission line for magnifier work.
> Downside:  it tens to flap a bit in light breezes.

Not bad, a totaly unexpected result I'm sure... one would think corona
leakage for sure...

> Next on the agenda: a new 100 amp breaker has to be installed, and
> we'll try moving up on the top load capacitance.  We designed a new
> way of stacking our 36 by 8 inch toroids, so we'll probably next
> attempt two toroids.  We'll also be moving up our tank capacitance
> from 0.015 ufd to 0.03 ufd.  We're gonna leave the variac bypassed
> for now.

What sort of power levels are operating at? 5, 10KVA?

I also wish it was easy for us in Aussie to have 100Amp breakers
installed into our homes... would make coiling alot better...

Has anyone is Australia managed to get those sort of current
breakers/outlets installed?

Oh well, the 10amp ones will do for now, although, I managed to find a
circuit with 2 outlets in phase and achieved 20amps in parallel.

Thanks for the info Bert, very impressed! Some photos would be nice!
<hint hint> :-)

Catchya!
Rod