[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE- Doorknob Caps

Subject:       RE- Doorknob Caps
       Date:   Mon, 09 Jun 1997 12:47:00 GMT
       From:   robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org (Robert Michaels)
         To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

T>  From:  "R. Dewzenol MacMorran" <dewzenol-at-smart1-dot-net>
T>I've been told that doorknob caps are great as far as capacity goes
and
T>aren't too leaky... I ran across a bunch of 30kv .000461mf caps that
are
T>supposedly doorknobs... But they are ceramic cylinders with contacts
on
T>the
T>axis of the cylinder on either end.  I thought doorknob caps were
glass.
T>Obviously I'd be using these for a small coil.... Think they're a good
T>idea?  If anyone's interested, I might be able to get some of them;
they
T>were a dollar or two each...

        Doorknob capacitors are so called because of their shape,
        not the material of manufacture.   Typically they are
        roundish, cylindricalish, ovalish -- more or less the
        size of eggs, with terminals (studs or threaded inserts) at
        each end.

        They make okay Tesla capacitors.  That's "okay" -- not to be
        confused with "Gee Whiz", "Wow!", or "Yes!-Yes!-Yes!".

                                        All charged up, in ---
                                        Detroit, USA

                                        Robert Michaels