[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Latest magnifier results

Subject:  Re: Latest magnifier results
  Date:  Mon, 9 Jun 1997 11:40:35 -0400 (EDT)
  From:  FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
    To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

>snip>We are proud new entrants into the grand order of 10+ foot spark
> makers.  We couldn't be more excited.  Well, ok, if we'd gotten 15
> foot sparks, then we'd have been more excited.

Hi Bert,   Congratulations on the 10 footers,  exciting times!

< The two layer coil does perform better than the single
> layer coil, though not to a dramatic degree.

I'd be interested to hear if you can measure some sort of percentage of
improvement; 5%, 10%, etc?

> Our variac stcak suffered a very violent demise, complete with
> fireball and acrid smoke.  We crawled into the power cabinet and
> bypassed the variac so we were running directly off the contactors.

HO, HO....the joys of coiling... too bad about loss of variac.

> We experimented with using a piece of 10 inch wide aluminum flashing
>as a transmission line.  I expected horrendous corona off the edges.
> Nope, works very well, we saw no transmission line corona at all.

Interesting results, I forget your specs, but you must have a lot more
turns
and inductance in the extra coil than the driver, so driver output
voltage
stays low.  Of course the big toroid helps to keep the voltage down on
the
transmission line also.

 >We'll also be moving up our tank capacitance
 >from 0.015 ufd to 0.03 ufd.

Enjoying the ongoing saga.....

Regards,

John Freau