[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Latest magnifier results

Subject:  Re: Latest magnifier results
  Date:   Tue, 10 Jun 1997 02:00:45 -0400 (EDT)
  From:   richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

>Wild Bill Emery and I built a new primary for our magnifier Saturday.
>We increased its diameter by a total of four inches which reduced
>coupling to an acceptable degree (nope, we have not yet measured the
>actual value).
snip

>We experimented with using a piece of 10 inch wide aluminum flashing
>as a transmission line.  I expected horrendous corona off the edges.
>Nope, works very well, we saw no transmission line corona at all.  It
>seems that the same physics which allow flashing to serve as a good
>low impedence ground conductor also allow it to serve as an admirable
>low impedence high voltage transmission line for magnifier work.
>Downside:  it tens to flap a bit in light breezes.
>
>Next on the agenda: a new 100 amp breaker has to be installed, and
>we'll try moving up on the top load capacitance.  We designed a new
>way of stacking our 36 by 8 inch toroids, so we'll probably next
>attempt two toroids.  We'll also be moving up our tank capacitance
>from 0.015 ufd to 0.03 ufd.  We're gonna leave the variac bypassed
>for now.
>

>Bert Pool
>bertpool-at-flash-dot-net

Good goin' guys!!!

Glad to hear you are over the hurdle of 10'.  That variac "high order"
number sounded fearsome.  I hope it is repairable!

the transmission line is a real question area.  I have seen our own Alex
Tajnsek run a length of bare 12 guage wire for a transmission line on
his
3-5 KW system with little corona!  This is shown in the rear
photographic
section of my book on the CSN.  There is physics and balance here, but
it is
complex and not a trivial explanation to be found.

Keep up the good work down in the lone star state.

Richard Hull, TCBOR