[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Easy Capacitor

Subject:  Easy Capacitor
  Date:   Tue, 10 Jun 1997 04:49:44 -0700 (PDT)
  From:   gweaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
    To:  Tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Just thought I would mention how I use to build capacitors before I make
my
oil filled rolled poly caps.  These quick and easy capacitors can be
build
from scratch in a few minites from several sheets of glass or plastic
and 2
rolls of aluminum foil.  The glass sheets should be 4" wider than the
aluminum foil.  Place the 1st sheet of glass on the work bench.  Place
the
1st aluminum foil roll East and West so the end of the aluminum foil is
on
the glass 2" from the edges all round. Place the 2nd sheet of glass on
the
aluminun foil.  Then place the 2nd aluminum foil roll North and South on
the
glass so the aluminum is 2" from the edge all around. Place the 3rd
sheet of
glass on the aluminum foil. The 1st roll of aluminum foil is on the East
side so move it to the West side pulling the aluminum tight over the
glass
and put another sheet of glass on top.  The 2nd roll of aluminum is on
the
South side so move it to the North side pulling the aluminum tight and
put
another sheet of glass on top.  Do this over and over several times
moving
the aluminum foil back and forth from side to side putting another sheet
of
glass on top each time.  After you get the number of layers you need set
the
aluminum foil rolls on an insulator and clip an alligator clip wire to
the
roll for connection to the TC.  Don't cut the aluminum foil from the
roll
because if you want to unroll more to make the capacitor larger you can.
When your finished roll the aluminum back on the roll and keep it in the
original box.  This cap glows purple and heats up after a few minutes.
There is much power loss from this glass cap.  Power loss can be reduced
by
doubling the thickness of glass. I got 24" sparks from this glass cap on
my
TC's and the spark output jumped to 33" just by replacing it with a oil
filled rolled poly cap.

Gary Weaver