[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Secondary wire & insulation

Subject:  Re: Secondary wire & insulation
  Date:  Mon, 9 Jun 1997 23:58:23 -0600
  From:  "DR.RESONANCE" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
    To:  "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

To: Alfred

A tip for lathe winders:  Start with a 1/2 or 3/4 ID pvc tube.
Guesstimate
your feed settings as best as you can and then wind away.  After careful
adjustment you will have a feed that works good for your size wire.  The
main point here is that by using a small tube for starting out you don't
use very much wire to do a 5 inch lineal test winding.  You can toss
these
tests away after getting the best settings and then wind away at a
reasonably high speed on the larger diameter 4 in or 6 in tube with the
correct settings.  It is a lot easier to make a mistake on a 1/2 tube
and
then throw it away than it is to waste a lot of wire on a larger tube.
After we dial in our settings for a particular type of wire we record
this
data.  Then 6 months later we can speed wind a coil such as a 6 in tube
26 in length in approximately 15 minutes total winding time without any
overlaps or gaps.

Hope this tip is of assitance.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net