[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RE- Secondary wire & insu (Hull mag)

Subject:       Re: RE- Secondary wire & insu
       Date:   Wed, 11 Jun 1997 07:55:32 +1200
       From:   "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To:    tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hi Richard, all,

>   From:  richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
>     To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

> At 11:48 PM 6/8/97 -0500, you wrote:
> >Subject:      Re: RE- Secondary wire & insu
> >       Date:  Mon, 9 Jun 1997 09:42:03 +1200
> >       From:  "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
> >         To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> >

> >snip
> >    This last weekend I tried the now-bolstered 2.5" high litz coil
> >on the minisystem I am playing with and the single shot length (low
> >rep rate) exceeded the winding height - just. There was a faint
> >corona visible on the outside of the coil varnish. Increasing coupling
> >beyond that point made it shoot straight up and down with no hope of
> >streamer growth.
> >
> >FWIW,
> >Malcolm
> >

> Malcolm,
>
> Nice little coil!!  I am taking a giant leap backward to the
> "small" with the current magnifier system #12.  Like all systems
> before it, it is a totally experimental effort.  I am using an H2
> Thyratron as the switch and at 100watts DC input (average) , can get
> about 6" of spark with 3.6KV input voltage.  The peak tank currents
> are 220amps! (~.8 megawatts peak pulsed power) This, far exceeds
> the 4C35's 100 amp peak plate rating.  The pulses are exactly and
> precisely uniform at 1.1KPPS and 1.3us total duration. The tube
> takes it on the chin quite well!  When on, it lights every
> fluorescent lamp within 8 feet!  I haven't even begun to explore
> this system yet.

I would like to try the little coil mentioned above with a decent
topload as a table-top mag. I think it could do quite well. Maybe this
weekend. I too think there is a lot to be learned about scaling issues
and behaviour with a high degree of safety thrown in by running small.
Also, for some time I have been wanting to investigate optimum pri-
sec turns ratio in the driver for a given resonator. This is an easy
way to do it.

Malcolm