[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Latest magnifier results

Subject:  Re: Latest magnifier results
  Date:   Mon, 10 Mar 1997 19:05:42 +0000
  From:  "Bert Pool" <bertpool-at-flash-dot-net>
    To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

[snip]

> Hi Bert,   Congratulations on the 10 footers,  exciting times!
>
> < The two layer coil does perform better than the single
> > layer coil, though not to a dramatic degree.
>
> I'd be interested to hear if you can measure some sort of percentage of
> improvement; 5%, 10%, etc?

Initial eyeball guess was an improvement only in the 5 to 10% range,
a hotter spark.  It's hard to make accurate measurements when you're
jumping up and down with excitement  ;)

> > Our variac stcak suffered a very violent demise, complete with
> > fireball and acrid smoke.  We crawled into the power cabinet and
> > bypassed the variac so we were running directly off the contactors.
>
> HO, HO....the joys of coiling... too bad about loss of variac.
>
> > We experimented with using a piece of 10 inch wide aluminum flashing
> >as a transmission line.  I expected horrendous corona off the edges.
> > Nope, works very well, we saw no transmission line corona at all.
>
> Interesting results, I forget your specs, but you must have a lot more
> turns
> and inductance in the extra coil than the driver, so driver output
> voltage
> stays low.  Of course the big toroid helps to keep the voltage down on
> the
> transmission line also.

Secondary voltage will jump two feet to ground, melting anything
in its path - actually quite a lot of voltage for a magnifier driver.
 I expected a lot of corona.  Driver is 9.17 mh, resonator is 18 mh.

>  >We'll also be moving up our tank capacitance
>  >from 0.015 ufd to 0.03 ufd.
>
> Enjoying the ongoing saga.....
>
> Regards,
>
> John Freau