[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Latest magnifier results (variac)

Subject:  Re: Latest magnifier results (variac)
  Date:  Tue, 10 Jun 1997 23:58:20 -0400 (EDT)
  From:  richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

snip

>We are/were running two 115 volt, 30 amp variacs wired for 220 volt
>operation.  Since we kept kicking out a 60 amp breaker, one might
>say we were over-driving them a tad bit, but who doesn't?  I suspect
>the brushes have toasted, and they are likely repairable.  I have
>repaired one other variac using the Richard Hull video guide and it
>is still good, so maybe we'll be lucky with these as well.
>

>Bert Pool
>bertpool-at-flash-dot-net

Dood man Bert!  Most folks would throw up their hands at a fused
variac.  I
place a turn around value to begin with 20amp units and above.  Smaller
units can often be purchased cheaper than the labor and hassle of
repair.
Plus the big 'uns give us folks with 5 thumbs on each hand a chance to
really stand a chance.  5 amp jobs are for watch makers!

Richard Hull, TCBOR