[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: More Capacitor Ideas - paints

Subject:  RE: More Capacitor Ideas - paints
  Date:   Sat, 14 Jun 97 22:29:19 UT
  From:   "William Noble" <William_B_Noble-at-msn-dot-com>
    To:   "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

maybe imaron?? or is that now considered old technology?? As another
thought,
when I paint a car I usually add a catalyst to the enamel - I don't know
if
this will cause the enamel inside a capacitor to harden or not, I've
always
used it on cars (where it sure helps durability).  The only 2 part epoxy
paint
I have used is a red lead primer made by dupont (name escapes me right
now and
I'm 15,000 miles from the can of paint so I can't look it up) - clearly
one
thing to be careful of is conductive additives.  If I was going to use
modern
materials in this way, I think I would be inclined towards some form of
silicone compound, perhaps one of the potting compounds used for HV
electronics, if the drying time can be long enough to get the cap
assembled
before it hardens too much  - there is a red silicone rubber compound
that I
see used a lot to protect certain kinds of circuitry, but I don't know
it's
properties.