[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Variac Rewinding ?

Subject:  Re: Variac Rewinding ?
  Date:   Sun, 15 Jun 1997 04:32:47 +0500
  From:   "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Thu, 12 Jun 1997 01:36:55 -0400 (EDT) richard hull
<rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net> wrote;

> Rewinding a variac core from scratch is as close to impossible as
> anything gets!!  It would be a labor of love and the core for a
> 120v version might handle far less amps than your current one is
> rated at.  The power level could be about the same though, I would
> imagine.

Richard when I was quite young my father made a big issue out of the
idea that everything made by machines was first made by hand and that
if you were determined enough you coud rediscover the methods
involved. Well with the latest technologies of today that may no
longer be true, since we now have machines that were hand made that
made other machines that made still other machines that now make
things that could never be made by hand! But the variac is old
technology and origionaly they were hand made and there is no reason
why they can't be rewound. It may take one heck of a lot of work
rediscovering all the tricks of the trade but the reward would be
the ability to corner the market on variac repair!

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/