[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Quenching

Subject:    Re: Quenching
      Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 16:14:02 -0700
      From: Mark Mackinnon <mmackinnon03-at-sprynet-dot-com>
        To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Tesla List wrote:

> Subject:  Quenching
>   Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 15:15:12 +0200 (SAT)
>   From: Richard <esmit-at-ilink.nis.za>
>     To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if anyone can tell me how I can make my Tesla coils
> spark
> gap quench very fast without using a rotary spark gap.
>
> Thanks.
> Richard
>
>                 EMAIL: esmit-at-ilink.nis.za
>                 South Africa
One very widely used way to quench a stationary gap is to use forced air
to literally blow out the spark.  There is also a spark gap design
called a "Quenched Gap" that basically consists of a high number of
small gaps, but these are somewhat difficult to construct and adjust .
For the forced air gap just us some kind of fan, ie vacuum cleaner or
leaf blower.  If you can find some way to construct a quench gap, by all
means do it, they quench almost 100% effectively.

let the sparks fly

MSM