[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

More Mini Coils

----------
From: 	Alfred A. Skrocki[SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent: 	Tuesday, June 17, 1997 7:23 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: More Mini Coils

On Tue, 17 Jun 1997 09:44:35 -0500 Robert W. Stephens
<rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com> wrote;

> > Subject:  Re: More Mini Coils
> >   Date:   Mon, 16 Jun 1997 13:16:33 +0500
> >   From:  "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
> >     To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> >
> > On Mon, 16 Jun 1997 10:36:16 +1200 Malcolm Watts
> > <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz> wrote;
> >
> > > Hi Coilers,
> > >             Here are some results from the weekend's playing around.
> > > Since I have taken no photos, I am presenting sufficient information
> > > for you to duplicate my results. I have achieved 4" attached single
> > > channel streamers (with 4.5" at odd times but not often enough to be
> > > convincing) using a power input of 20W.
> >
> > WOW! Do you realize thats 60 watts per foot of discharge!!! I think
> > you've broke the worlds record, your doing better than Richard Hulls
> > latest magnifier!

> Alfred, All,
>
> Not to rain on your parade or anything but I just have to correct
> you.  What Malcolm achieved was most definitely *NOT* 60 watts per foot
> of discharge.  He reported producing some 4 inches of discharge for
> 20 watts input.  As we (that have actually gotten our hands dirty and
> built coils that is, and I'm not saying you haven't) know well, the
> ratio between input power and output spark length is far from linear.
> Streamers issuing from a topload terminal seem to crave increasing
> power at an exponential rate to their length.
>
> The record may still sit somewhere around 200 watts (?, just pulling a
> number out of the air) for a foot of discharge.

First, you wouldn't be raining on my parade! You'd be raining on
Malcolm's. Be that as it may, Robert, I am well aware of the
non-linearity of input power to spark length! The general guide for
small coils is around 300 watts per foot of spark. To correct you
Malcolm DID achieve 60 watts per foot for 4 inches or 1/3 of that
foot. The whole point is untill Malcolm's little coil the best I've
heard for a 4 inch discharge is about 100 watts. I a not saying that
Malcolm can put 60 watts in that coil and get a one foot discharge!
What I a saying is Malcolm seems to have broken the record on spark
length per watt for small coils!

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/