[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

FW: Spark Gap Idea

From: 	DR.RESONANCE[SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent: 	Monday, June 23, 1997 10:05 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Spark Gap Idea

To: Jim Buck

Sounds like you are in the ball park on your voltage.  The spark distance
is almost entirely dependent on the type of spark gap electrodes you are
using.  For a quick test use some 1 cm balls (like old electric motor ball
bearings glued to two small shampoo bottles for insulators) and note the
max. spark discharge.  You can then look up this in the Handbook of
Chemistry and Physics which is available in any medium to large library.
This contains a chart for exact potential between spheres of various cm
sizes.

If you can haul this setup to a local TV repair shop they usually have a 40
KV HV probe for checking the output to the picture tube on TV's.  They
could check it for you in a few minutes and give you the exact potential
within 1-2%.

Hope this helps.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net