[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 60 ma v.s. 30 ma

From: 	Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Wednesday, June 25, 1997 7:19 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: 60 ma v.s. 30 ma

<< > If you add larger transformers, you can certainly also increase the
 > capacitance to take advantage of the higher charging current.  All I'm
 > saying here is you do not have to increase the capacitor value when higher
 > current transformers are added.  Some folks seem to think one requires the
 > other.

 Actually you do have to increase the capacitor size if you increase
 the charging current otherwise you will not be using the additional
 current. Realize of course this assumes that you were already using
 the largest practical size capacitor for the charging current. The
 capacitor is really the controlling factor as to how much power we
 can cram into a given Tesla coil.
                                Sincerely

Alfred,

If you increase the supply current in a given system without changing the
cap, you will get an increase in power delivered to the secondary and longer
sparks.  The cap will charge quicker, the gaps will fire more often and the
system will process more power.

Using my 14,400 volt pole pig and a .025 mfd cap - I can set the welder to
limit the current supplied by the pig to say 100 ma.  Now I get sparks that
are X feet long.  Now you are trying to tell me that if I increase the
current up to 300, or 400 ma I will not get MUCH longer discharges??
 Apparently you have not tried this.  I have and believe me you do not HAVE
to increase the size of the capacitor to process more power.

Ed Sonderman