[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Secondary coil arcing to itself

From: 	DR.RESONANCE[SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent: 	Saturday, June 28, 1997 2:25 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Secondary coil arcing to itself

To: Kevin

It appears you inadvertently tuned your secondary inductor with too large a
capacitive tophat.  This large torus is too large for a .005 MFD drive on
the primary and as a result the secondary inductor is reaching resonant
peaks at several points along its length.  No amount of insulation will
cure this problem.  It appears you may be operating at 5/4 or 7/4
wavelength instead of 1/4 wavelength.

You have a few choices -- either reduce your large top capacitance to a 3-4
inch ball or go to a .01 MFD cap and increase the primary drive current to
60 ma (12 KV, 60 ma as an example).  Experiment with a wide range of
primary taps running a variac on the primary side of the neon xmfr to keep
it to around 40% or less until you get the tuning where it should be.

Hope this helps out.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net