[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: High Power Electronics (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 21:53:29 +0000
From: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <mod1-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: High Power Electronics (fwd)

At 03:56 AM 2/28/97 +0000, you wrote:

> [...]

Russ -

ISBN  0-8306-9094-8

Copyright 1989 by TAB BOOKS INC.

by W.J. Sarjeant & R.E. Dollinger

It should be noted that this is not a book on Tesla coils. The book is on a
completely different technology. The book is on pulse circuits and not
dampened sine wave transformers better known as Tesla coils.

The one chapter on "High Voltage Air Core Pulse Transformers" does not show
Tesla coils but rather air core pulse transformers. This apparatus uses high
(<0.6) K couplings, dual resonance charging, etc.

The interest in pulse transformers is due to radar, a technology that has
been highly developed since WW II with millions of goverment dollars. To my
knowledge the goverment has never spent a penny on true Tesla coil
technology. All of the expense of Tesla coil research has been borne by
individuals using private funds.

High Power Electronics is an excellent reference book on pulse technology.
It contains informationn on Discharge Circuits and Loads, Spark Gaps,
Charging Systems, etc. It also discusses Kerr Cells, Rogowski coils, etc.
This information is also available in many other Textbooks. Because it is
out of print a cult has materialized around this book by people who are
interested in pulse technology.

Before you spend big bucks for this book you may want to review it in more
detail.

John H. Couture