[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE:- Re: OLD Tubes/Where (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 1997 20:56:20 GMT
From: Robert Michaels <robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org>
To: mod1-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: RE:- Re: OLD Tubes/Where

-> >   Cost in U.S. $ of an 833-class tube is about $30 each in
-> >        single quantities from Communist China and somewhat more
-> >        from Eastern Bloc countries.

-> For future reference can you give a couple of suppliers -
-> over here (UK) they want L85 - well over $120.

-> Alan Sharp (UK)

        It's hard for me to be as specific as I might like (especially
        insofar as the Brits are concerned) but I'll try to give some
        general (and not too obvious) guidelines:

        1) -- (Euro & U.S.) -  Look in the classified telephone
                directory of any good-sized (100,000 population and up)
                under "Electronic Parts and Supplies" or the like and
                start making some phone calls.

        2) -- (Euro & U.S) -  Call the =consulate= of Communist China,
                Czech Republic, etc.  State that you want to purchase
                electronic vacuum tubes from the subject country and
                ask who is importing them into your nation.

                =Consulates= exist for this purpose.  They are to be
                found in national capitals with branches in major
                cities having interntional trade (New York, Chicago,
                L.A., in the U. S.)

        3) -- (U.S. Only) - There is a 4 or 5 volume trade directory
                called the "Electronic Engineering Master" (but
                everybody says EEM).  It is published annually and
                costs about $100-US.  Check libraries and used book
                sellers.

                Vacuum tube mfgrs and importers are list here along
                with purveyors of just about everything else electronic.

        4) -- (Euro, Australia, U. S.) - Magazines catering to elec-
                 tronic  hobbyists - =especially= to audiophiles -
                 occasionally  carry ads from tube
                 importers/distributors

        5) -- (U.S. only) -  "Thomas Register of Manufacturers".  It's
                a 20-volume trade directory covering most all
                manufactured goods of possible interest to OEM's.  It's
                to be found in most public libraries and ought to be in
                the purchasing department of most businesses and
                organizations.

        6) -- (U.S., maybe elsewhere) --
                My particular favorite is:

                        New Sensor Corporation
                        20  Cooper Square
                        New York, NY 10003

                        (212) 529 - 0466
                        (800) 633 - 5477
                        (212) 529 - 0486 FAX

                This is an importer/distributor which handles both
                receiving and power/transmitting tubes.  I've always
                dealt with them via my organizational affiliations.
                How they would react to doing business with a private
                individual is unknown.

        7) -- (U.S., likely elsewhere) --

                        RF Parts
                        435  S Pacific St
                        San Marcos CA 92069

                        (619) 744 - 0700
                              744 - 1943  FAX
                        rfp-at-rfparts-dot-com

                This is a small jobber expressingly catering to the
                experimenter on a onesy-twosy basis.  They have a lot
                more than merely tubes.  More expensive than buying
                direct, but they will sell one tube (or one anything
                else) without quibble.

        All of this said and done, I may have mis-spoken myself on the
        price of 833's.   I had forgotten that these were the really
        =big= mothers.  Apparently I was thinking of 813's which are
        assuredly available at the price I mentioned.

                                        Operating in a vacuum,

                                        Robert Michaels - Detroit, USA