[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[Fwd: Re: Any big coil designs (fwd)]

-- BEGIN included message

> Date:          Wed, 05 Mar 1997 23:48:18 -0600
> To:            tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject:       Re: Any big coil designs (fwd)
> From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> SSNSanders-at-aol-dot-com wrote:
> >
> > In a message dated 97-03-04 07:47:37 EST, you write:
> >
> > <<
> >  > Richard Hull, TCBOR
> >
> >  Richard,
> >
> >  You have a good talent for reality checks.  Elequently put.
> >
> >  rwstephens
> >   >>
> > Richard; RW;   I saw a coil that I believe Bill Wysock made for an overseas
> > client on a web page. He was trying it out outside and it was the most
> > massive thing Ive ever seen, the gap was huge. One thing I wanted to ask
> > Richard is when you took the photo for the Geographic you guys were running a
> > LARGE coil with HUGE streamers and it was inside. How did you stand the
> > ozone? 15 seconds on my small coil in my apt. and I have to cut it off for
> > the stink. Once in a garage I was so amazed that I ran it too long and it
> > made me feel WEIRD and Im not joking, I was dizzy and started to salavate
> > excessively, It scared me because I knew ozone was poison so I ran outside
> > and hyper ventelated for a while and it went away. Also handeling HV wires
> > which have a corona on them with sweaty hands tend to make ozone stay on them
> > like it condenses to a liquid, I got a little on my lip from smoking and
> > nothing taste quite so nasty and you cant spit it out for a while and it
> > stayed on my hands until about 30 min later. I was holding wire off the
> > discharge of an ignition coil type setup.  Stephen Sanders

Stephen,

As a general rule I have noticed that static spark gapped systems,
even small ones, can quickly gas up a room to toxicity.  They make a
horrible smell and can quickly make you ill if the doors and windows
aren't open and even forced ventillation used.   I made myself quite
ill about a week and a half ago from an 1800 watt neon powered static
gap system that was really cookin' before I realized it.  I couldn't
take a full breath without coughing for several days.  I attribute this fact
to my theory that the corona discharge from these systems, even
though it consists of streamers that are shorter than those from big
powered rotary systems, there are many more of them happening more or
less simultaneously.  The net result is  more air molecules are in
contact with and modified by the spark/corona glow from a small T.C., and the
result is more O3 (ozone), oxides of N and Nitric acid (if the RH of
the air is above some 55%).   That nasty stuff you tasted on your
lips from sweaty hands on corona producing insulated wires was
probably nitric acid.  That stuff is nasty, but isn't cigarette smell
just as bad?  Sorry, I'm a 15 year reformed once-heavy-smoker.

On the other hand I am not bothered by quite a bit of run time in a
sealed room by a comparatively larger system operating on a rotary
break.  It even has a totally *different* smell to it, and it is not
as nearly as bad a smell.

My advice?  Go out immediately and buy shares in companies that
make rotary breaks, and quit smoking!  : )

rwstephens

-- END included message