[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[Fwd: (Fwd) Re: capacitor case construction

-- BEGIN included message

From:          Self <Single-user mode>
To:            huffman <huffman-at-FNAL.GOV>
Subject:       Re: capacitor case construction
Date:          Sat, 8 Mar 1997 19:34:45 -0500

> Date:          Thu, 06 Mar 1997 12:15:45 -0600
> From:          huffman <huffman-at-FNAL.GOV>
> Subject:       capacitor case construction
> To:            Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>

>  Hi Group,
>  I am constructing a ceramic capacitor using plates from the bottom of a
>  microwave oven. I am using alum flashing for the electrodes and have about
>  16 plates in a sandwich. The one thing that is still a question is the
> case
>  to put it in. I was thinking that a sheet metal case would be the way to
> go
>  since I could make it the proper size. I can also mount the capacitor
>  vertically in the case to eliminate air bubbles. I don't know what kind of
>  spacing to have around the capacitor and the case to be safe. Is a 1/4" of
>  oil sufficient? I will document the construction for what it's worth.
> Oh I guess I should say that I'm shooting for use with a 15KV neon.
>  Dave Huffman
>  huffman-at-fnal.gov

Dave,

If you are going to employ that very creative capacitor with one side
internally grounded to the metal case (in otherwords a single bushing
capacitor), then I'd say go with 1/2 inch total surround spacing in
oil.  If you wish to employ it with the case grounded and two
terminals doing all sorts of wild things above ground then I would
considerably increase the surrounding oil gap to reduce capacitive coupling to
the case.

Just curious, wadja do with all the other parts from these microwave
ovens?  If you'd like to part with any of them please let me know.  A
throw away item that Tesla coilers would not be interested in, but I
would, would be the magnatrons.

rwstephens

-- END included message