[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Magnet Design (Why ?]

-- BEGIN included message

T>While not a tesla generator question ...

        No argument there.   Still, a Tesla coil can be used to
        power the Dees...

T>I want to build a 20,000+ gauss U shaped magnet for use on a small
T>cyclotron.  I am trying to determine what grade of steel I should use
T>that could be purchased from a commerical steel supplier.  I am going to

        Don't!!

        Do not use steel under any circumstances.  This calls for
        soft iron!   The softest soft iron money can buy.  Then
        best to anneal it yourself any way.

                                 - - - - - -

        Your problem is not going to be the iron.  It's going to
        be the copper.  For the windings.

        Eons ago plans for building very powerful magnets were
        published in the "Amateur Scientist" column in "Scientific
        American".   These were reprised in the 3-volume "Amateur
        Scientist" books.   They described a primary comprised of
        short, curved copper sheets (like a segment from a donut) that
        were interleaved over one another to form a continuous con-
        ductor around the iron core.

                                - - - - - -

        This is a very difficult and expensive undertaking of which
        the magnet is the least.   Building a cyclotron is one thing.
        Getting it to resonate (let alone maintain resonance) is =quite=
        another.   Which is why no one builds cyclotrons anymore (i.e.
        for particle and nuclear research) - it was a cute trick in
        its day which served to get O. E. Lawrence some recognition
        (and much needed funding) but that's about the use of them.

        Be prepared to spend a lot of lonely and frustrating nights,
        (and to get a second mortgage on the house).

                                        Cycled around on that one,

                                        Robert Michaels

-- END included message