[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: It works, but

-- BEGIN included message

Tesla List wrote:

> Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: It works, but]
> Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 19:20:40 -0800 (PST)
> From: "Edward V. Phillips" <ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>
> David:
>         You can't hook neon transformers in SERIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<SNIP>

Quite the contrary, you =CAN= hook neons in series, provided all of them
are floating from ground (no case connections). However, you run a
terrible risk in that the voltage potential between primary and
secondary windings may be exceeded to the point that a short-circuit may
occur (via High voltage flash-over), leading to a very dangerous and
life-threatening situation.

>         By the way, contrary to what has been said here often,
> can't see any reason at all not to parallel neon transformers of
> different current and/or voltage rating, provided they are phased
> appropriately.

Here, again, you may have a winding built to withstand a certain voltage
between primary and secondary exposed to a much higher voltage,
resulting in high voltage flash-over from secondary to primary (Thanks
to the Padre for making this clear to me).
  Load sharing may be a bit odd, but as long as they

--

   Rick Holland

   The answer is 42.

-- END included message