[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Vac Tubes TCBA NEWS

-- BEGIN included message

All,

As there is currently much interest in Vacuum tube TCs on the list I thought
all might like to know that there are two articles on vacuum Tube coils in
the current April-June issue.

One article is by my long term Tesla buddy in California Steve Cole on how
to make a dual 805 tube Tube coil.

Likewise, There is an older article taken from an old Electronics
illustrated (you gotta be old to remember this one).  Oddly, this one is for
a half wave tube coil- a relative rarity in the tube world!

Yours truly had his article in here on Electrostatics and TCs.

  One error in the text.

  I stated that "all the charges collected to date are negative"  Make that
positive not negative.  Brain fatigue.  The voltage on the collector seems
negative but the charge positive. This, based on solid instrumentation.
This remains a conundrum.

The mechanism for the production is now assumed to be positive ions
resulting from high speed electron impacts.  It is assured that the coil is
supplying only high speed electrons (field emission) bathed in a huge
acceleratory electric field.  These incredibly energetic electrons smash the
air maolecules. (Oxygen, nitrogen, argon)  The resultant collision knocks
off one or more electrons from the massive atoms leaving a now moving
kinetic positive ion which, in the high local field has a much longer than
normal lifetime and a mean free path which is extended.  Ion atom and
ion-ion collisions stimulate additional ion production until the ions formed
are so weak that interaction ceases at some range.  At this crtical range
the ion lifetimes fall back into the normal sub-second lifetime range.

Richard Hull, TCBOR

-- END included message