[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[Fwd: Touchy toroids]

-- BEGIN included message

Howdy coilers

I would like some feedback as to what others have done with
their toroid construction using the available aluminum dryer
ducting from the hardware stores. I am presently on my 5th one.

My last one was my best one but it fell off recently and landed
on the sharp pointed acrylic inverted-cone primary forms. It was
toast. The way I had built it was by using some 40 pound monofilamnet
fishing line and 'chain stiched' the ducting 2 ends together. All
seemed okay but the fishing line was above the outside surface of the
seam, so I smoothed aluminum tape around the seam and that seemed ok.
For the center, I cut out a circle from the center of a cheap pie
pan and drilled 4 holes in this metal disc at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock.
I used 4 titanum (free) wires and wrapped each wire around the toroid
and locked it in place at the center disc with those little screw locks
used to tighten on automobile throttle cables during adjustment.

I just bought my new ducting. I came of with a stiching method that
makes the toroid appear seamless. It is very hard to tell where the
joining took place. There is no need to smmoth aluminum tape over the
joint.

Ok now for the question (sorry it took so long to get here)

What other methods can I use for a center ?

Someone had told me of 2 pie pans back-to-back but I can't imagine
how the ducting will stay on the pans' edges. I find my self looking
in kitchen stores and department stores and hardware stores looking
for something to jump out at me. Service people at these stores ask me
'Can I help you find something?' or "What are you looking for?'.

I always tell them that I will know what it is when I see it!

Thanks,

Bob Schumann

tesla-at-america-dot-com
http://www.america-dot-com/~tesla