[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Lou Balint's SCR work-specs.

  Date:
        Sun, 16 Mar 1997 17:41:02 -0500 (EST)
  From:
        FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
    To:
        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

<<  Hi John,
 >            Do you have the specs on his coil handy? I'd be interested
 > to know the primary surge impedance and resonant frequency in
 > particular. It sounds as if the dV/dt rating was exceeded (lack of
 >controlled turnoff).

 > Thanks,
 > Malcolm

 Malcolm,

I spoke to Lou Balint and it turns out that I misunderstood or had
forgotten
some of the details of his SCR work, here's the true "dope":

        Lou used a 600 volt DC power supply, and the system gave only 1"
sparks, not 7".  Also, the primary waveform was not monitored, so it is
unknown just how it reacted.   Lou does not remember the SCR ratings,
primary
surge impedance, or resonant frequency offhand.  Some (maybe all) this
work
was in magnifier mode.  Frequency may have been around 180 kHz --
guessing.
 SCR's did burn up eventually.  Sorry about the misinformation.

Towards optimal coiling,

John Freau

 > > Lou Balint of PA has used SCR's to simulate a spark gap by
controlling
 them
 > > with a pulse generator.  He used about 600 volts, and obtained 7"
sparks
 or
 > > more.  The units were rated for about 200 amps I think.  He was
unable
 > > make them "turn off" until the primary tank energy had rung down.
  Eventually