[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: Touchy toroids

  Date:
        Mon, 17 Mar 1997 20:32:54 -0800 (PST)
  From:
        "Edward V. Phillips" <ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu>
    To:
        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Re: Pie Pans
        You guys are going to way too much work.  Separate the
two pie pans slightly (say 1/2" to 1", depending on diameter)
and form the toroid to fit snugly between them.  I use the
flex aluminum ducting.  After joining the duct with masking
tape I then wrap it with masking tape, couple of layers working
my way around it and making sure to keep it flat and round.
The wrapped toroid so formed is pretty solid and looks good if
done neatly (I'm usually too impatient to do it right, but my
nephew who is more fastidious does a beautiful job).  Following
this the toroid is then wrapped with aluminum tape, all of the
way around to form a surface which is continuous.  The pie pans
are then bround out and bolted together.  As they are drawy
drawn together they are forced solidly against the toroid, since
their OD is slightly larger than the ID of the toroid.  The pie
pan to aluminum foil contact is solid and of good electrical
conductivity and easy to connect to the top of the coil.
        No glue, no solder, no nothing that you can't do
in an hour or so strictly by hand.  I actually use Masonite
circles covered with aluminum tape in place of the pie pans,
but the principal is the same.
Ed Phillips