[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Motor driven variac

  Date:
        Tue, 18 Mar 1997 19:25:49 -0600 (CST)
  From:
        Bert Pool <nikki-at-fastlane-dot-net>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 12:25 AM 3/18/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Subject:
>        Motor driven variac
>  Date:
>        Mon, 17 Mar 1997 09:28:30 -0500 (EST)
>  From:
>        SSNSanders-at-aol-dot-com
>    To:
>        Tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

>I have found a motor driven variac, 10 amp I believe with a steel
>control box
>that has a cover. I dont know much about them and its rather expensive.
>Im
>thinking of buying it but does anyone know how they operate? Is there a
>control you set which drives the gears and sets the voltage? What is the
>advantage? I want it for a larger coil Im planning but if it has no
>advantage
>Ill just use a dial manual type. This is a large heavy unit,may be 15
>amp and
>they want 170.00 for it.   Stephen Sanders

Stephen, $170 for a 15 amp variac is too much to spend.  I once bought
several 15 amp motor driven variacs for about $15 each.  I even gave one
"Delco" Kevin for the cost of shipping.  Check out the larger commercial
electrical contractors in your area; ask if they have some old variacs
in
their junk piles.  I bet you can find a 15 amp variac much cheaper, or
better yet, a much larger variac for a reasonable price.  For $170, I'd
be
looking for a 220 volt 50 amp monster.

Bert Pool
nikki-at-fastlane-dot-net