[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Motor driven variac (fwd)

  Date:
        Tue, 18 Mar 1997 22:08:51 -0700 (MST)
  From:
        List owner <listown-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
    To:
        tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 20:31:32 -0700
From: Steve Roys <sroys-at-umabnet.ab.umd.edu>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Motor driven variac

On Tue, 18 Mar 1997, Tesla List wrote:

> Ill just use a dial manual type. This is a large heavy unit,may be 15
> amp and
> they want 170.00 for it.   Stephen Sanders

That's not quite highway robbery, particularly if you're looking at new
variacs, but it's nowhere near a good price if you're a hamfest regular.
When you find them, you can generally pick up 30A, 220V variacs (7.8kVA)
for anywhere from $50 to $150, depending on the condition and how proud
the seller is of their boat anchor.  IMHO the motor drive would not be
worth a hill of beans on a Tesla coil either - give me a hand wheel any
day.

Steve Roys.