[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: SCR's

  Date:
        Mon, 17 Mar 97 17:28:00 UT
  From:
        "William Noble" <William_B_Noble-at-msn-dot-com>
    To:
        "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Tesla List
Sent:   Sunday, March 16, 1997 7:18 PM
To:     tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
Subject:        Re: SCR's

        Re: SCR's
  Date:
        Sat, 15 Mar 1997 12:37:33 -0700
  From:
        "DR.RESONANCE" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>

To:  Bill Noble

Noted your post on the SCR's and automotive ignition coils.

The peak currents and nasty ringing seems to damage many solid state
device
when used with auto induction coils.  We have used these circuits also
but
always rate all devices for at least 5 times the expectly (or scoped)
peak
potentials and currents.  It may look strange to use hockey pucks in a
massive copper clamp with these devices but at least they never seem to
fail.
[bill]  I never had that problem.  I use a standard 2 amp scr with a
simple
snubber circuit, and a one shot for a trigger driver, 2 transistors to
drive
the inverter (regenerative).  I have a schematic somewhere, but not here
with
me in the middle east.  look at the schematic for a Delta mark 10 -
although I
simplified their circuit quite a bit, it will give you the basic idea.
I used
a oil filled capacitor for the energy storage device, and I used 400 Hz
aircraft transformer for the inverter transformer.  In over 10 years of
operation I have had no failure.

[]  snip

We are doing our first experiments on an common Accel "super coil"
[bill]  I use standard stock coils - there is no need for a "super coil"
unless you wish to throw money away.   Stock non-ballasted coils cost a
dollar
or two at a wrecking yard.

Also noted the msn-dot-com post -- any chance you're from the Madison,
Wisconsin area??
[]  MSN = microsoft's network, I'm near Los Angeles

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net