[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: GNATS meeting, and harmony/synergy

  Date:
        Thu, 20 Mar 1997 01:24:06 -0500 (EST)
  From:
        richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

>Richard,
>
>One thing that you mentioned and I forgot to mention is that Jeff and I
>tried getting the gap to work with just the primary and no secondary at
>all.  Same flaming!  This now indicates to me that the 6" secondary was
>taking energy out of the system and allowing the gap to quench.
>
>I am going to try an experiment sometime this weekend if I get the
>chance.
>I'm going to rig a pulley in the garage and attach a line through it to
>the top of the coil.  Then while the coil is running I'll try to slowly
>raise the secondary and see where the output is the best.  I figure the
>best output will imply the "best" use of energy.
>
>Here's another question -- If I really work on a gap system that allows
>me
>to produce a nice snappy spark on the rotary with no secondary in the
>circuit, do you think that I would then have a really excellent gap
>system
>that would Do Great Things, or would it be just an exercize?  Of course,
>if
>no one knows, I can always try the experiment too.
>

>Chip

Chip,

This is one reason I usually opt for lotsa' turns in the primary.  It
slows
the thing down a bit and quenching is a little easier.

If you make a gap that doesn't flame with a 3 turn primary and a
moderately
large cap, you really have something!  If you take a .01ufd and a 15
turn
primary, you should quench ok with two series static gaps!  The gap
should
really be tuned and set for a specific system.  Nebulous statement, but
bit of experimentation and hands on will soon have that synergy
flowing.  An
experienced builder's best guess stands a far better chance of success
than
a Pspice model wielded by a novice.

Richard Hull, TCBOR