[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: caps

  Date:
        Wed, 19 Mar 1997 16:25:44 -0500 (EST)
  From:
        SSNSanders-at-aol-dot-com
    To:
        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

<<
 I meant put them is series to get higher voltage. the microwave caps
 are rated at 4000vrms and I have a neon xfrmr at 12000v.
 can i use 5 of these in series to get 20000v ? will this hold the
 kickbacks
 from the rf ? >>
I have read of a series/parallel arrangement of microwave caps to
achieve the
voltage rating and capacitance rating but before I went to that trouble
and
then possibly facing the possibility of one of those cans exploding, I
would
just make a single cap. You need a voltage rating of at least 2- 2.5
times
the input voltage on the caps to be sure they will last a while so for a
12KV
neon you need a 24-30 KV rating and preferably 30 KV. Thats about 15
microwave caps to get the voltage then the parallel units are needed to
raise
the capacitance!  Too much chance of failure with all that ratnesting
you
will need to do not to mention the room taken up but one would be cool
and
functional . I read the list a while and then looked at my coil and was
surprised it worked at all, the Q was horrible, I was getting 6-7 "
streamers
even at that but I just tore it all apart. All that stranded wire and at
long
lengths, trashy toroid, multiple caps, brass knob spark gaps, so now its
going to be built with solid short conductors, large thick metal disc
spark
gap, maybe sealed in glass under vacum and with nitrogen, the correct
chokes,
and ONE cap of the correct rating which would have to be better than
using
several.    Stephen Sanders