[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: switched mode power supply

       Date:
            Fri, 21 Mar 1997 08:36:11 +1200
       From:
            "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To:
            tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hi Kenneth,
             Would you elaborate please?

> I have had great difficulty in obtaining a cheap 2kw transformer,
> so my plan is to create a SMPS and step up the voltage. the idea i
> have in mind is a design that operates the switcher at the self
> resonant frequency of the module so i get max efficiency. has
> anyone tried this before ? How do the spark gaps and caps handle
> the 30..80khz input to them ? is anyone interested in the schematics
> of the SMPS ?

What module? You can run a switcher and feed the secondary like a
magnifier. A number of people have done it. You don't need a gap.
Harri and Alan are experienced operators and Mark Barton has done it
to about 8kW CW and around 40kW pulsed carrier. A low frequency
resonator <<100kHz is the key to efficiency in the switcher.

Malcolm

---------------------------- Kenneth Aaron E-mail :