[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: caps

  Date:
        Sat, 22 Mar 1997 12:41:35 +0200
  From:
        Kenneth Aaron <kennetha-at-geocities-dot-com>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>, tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com

>Do I remember reading yesterday that these are 2 mfd caps?  If so, 6 of
>these
>in series will result in a .33 mfd capacitor.  This is way too much
>capacitance for most coil systems that I am aware of.  Typical values
>are
>.01, .02, .025, .05 and maybe two .10 mfds used in an equadrive system
>which
>will result in a net .05 mfd.  Also, they probably are not designed for
>high
>current, pulse duty applications and would perform poorly.
>
>Ed Sonderman

Ok, I'm going to build the 'six pack' bottle capacitors.
If I use those plastic coca-cola bottles, would they work well,
I mean instead of glass bottles ?
Plastic is much easier to handle, is lighter, less danger if it
explodes,
and has a much larger volume than glass bottles.
what do you think ?

question #2 -
a neon sign xfrmr of 1.5kw costs about 250$ here. if i use 3
transformers
salvaged from microwave ovens - connected in series, would this
work ? the power of each is around 800W and the voltage is 2200v.